This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated (at no extra cost to you) when you make a purchase by clicking on my links. Thank you for your support.
Earlier this month, I read an article by one of my favorite nurse bloggers, Elizabeth Scala. (You can find her at Nursing From Within.) She talked about how nursing school teaches us to put everybody else’s needs ahead of our own, and we carry this attitude into our nursing careers. Elizabeth stressed the importance of taking care of ourselves first. As she stated in her article, “Put yourself first and you will be able to give to others in a much bigger way.”
This struck a chord with me because I admit that I haven’t been taking very good care of myself over the past several months. There’s no one particular reason; I’ve simply been busy with other things. Taking care of myself hasn’t been a priority.
Many of you know that I work part-time as a corporate wellness nurse. We go into businesses to do annual health screenings, then follow up with one-to-one health coaching based on the results. Lately, I’ve been feeling a bit hypocritical when I coach people on their health habits. Do they notice that I’ve gained 15 pounds over the past year? Obviously I’m not practicing what I preach!
After reading Elizabeth’s article, I decided that I needed to create a wellness program for myself, and I planned to start it after the beginning of the new year. But the more I thought about it, I realized that I need to do something now rather than later. I knew I could allow myself to lollygag through the rest of the holiday season and enter 2018 in even worse shape. Or I could begin a program now and dive into the new year feeling healthier, happier and more energetic.
I made my choice and started an online wellness class a little over a week ago. The course is entitled “15 Days to a Healthier You“. It was developed by one of my favorite blogging mentors, Crystal Paine. I’ve been a fan of her blog for several years, and I’ve taken a couple of her other online classes.
This is the really cool part. A couple of days after I started the class, I received an email from Crystal letting me know that many of her online classes will be on sale over the Black Friday weekend (through Cyber Monday). Now I can share these excellent resources with you at greatly reduced prices!
Here are a few of the things I love about Crystal’s classes:
- After reading Crystal’s blog for several years, I know that she genuinely cares about her readers. Her goal is to create classes that help us live the best lives possible.
- The session entitled “Fall in Love with Exercise” inspired me to get back to the gym. It’s embarrassing to tell you that I have a membership at Planet Fitness, and I hadn’t been there in 6 months. It truly feels good to be exercising again.
- This isn’t the typical health course that focuses primarily on weight loss. Crystal shares many different topics related to wellness such as attitude, goal-setting, clutter, and sleep.
- The session on healthy eating offers lots of tips for improving our nutrition, but it doesn’t try to put everyone on a one-size-fits-all diet. You decide what’s best for you, and Crystal’s program provides inspiration along the way.
- Her programs are reasonably priced and fit into nearly any budget. In addition, they come with a 7-day tuition-back guarantee in case you decide the course wasn’t right for you.
I wish you well on your personal health journey, and remember that it’s okay to put yourself first!
One final note: Have you ever considered starting your own blog? Crystal was enormously helpful when I started my blogging journey, and two of her blogging classes are on sale now, too: