According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor, the average person will live about 17 more years after reaching retirement age. That’s another 6205 days to fill with enjoyable and meaningful activities. While most retirees treasure the freedom and flexibility that comes with no longer working full-time, many miss some aspects of being employed. Volunteering is a great way to fill that void.
These are great reasons to volunteer at a nursing home after retirement:
- Nursing homes are open 24/7 and 365 days a year, so there’s lots of flexibility in the times you can volunteer.
- You can develop new skills and try out activities you didn’t have time for in the past.
- Volunteering in a nursing home reduces loneliness. Many people miss the daily social contact of having a job. A nursing home is like a little community where you’ll meet new friends.
- You’ll get the satisfaction of knowing you’re helping others.
- Volunteering alleviates boredom. It’s great for people who miss being out in the working world but don’t want to be there for so many hours.
- You’ll be a positive role model for the younger people who work at the nursing home.
- Some people don’t feel as valuable after they give up the responsibilities of a full-time job. Volunteering can give you a renewed sense of self-worth.
- You can support a cause that’s important to you by promoting the best possible care for nursing home residents.
- Volunteering at a nursing home helps you stay physically active which improves overall health.
- You’ll have an opportunity to share the knowledge and expertise you gained during your many years in the working world.
- If you decide you want to start working again on a part-time basis, volunteering can open the door to new job opportunities.
- Volunteering at a nursing home keeps your brain challenged.
- You’ll be able to connect with other volunteers at the nursing home who share your interests.
Do you know someone who is looking for something meaningful to do after retirement? Please share this post with them!
I love to read Chicken Soup for the Soul books, and I know you’ll enjoy these favorites, too:(I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for your support.)