Did you know that an organization called Independent Sector calculated the value of a volunteer at $24.14 per hour? When I first read that figure I thought it seemed a bit high. But consider the fact that volunteers don’t receive a salary, insurance benefits, or paid time off. Now I see why this statistic is pretty accurate.
Besides the monetary value of volunteers, let’s look at other ways they benefit the nursing home:
- The staff at a nursing home are very busy. Volunteers have time to do the little extras for the residents that the staff simply can’t fit into their overloaded schedules.
- Volunteers are a source of future staff. I remember several employees who started out as volunteers at our nursing home. Later, this experience inspired them to go on to become nurses or nursing assistants.
- Fundraising projects organized by volunteers provide money to pay for extra activities, equipment, and furnishings for the residents.
- Volunteers are great ambassadors in the community. Their positive stories inspire people to consider your nursing home for themselves or someone they love.
- Employees enjoy their jobs more when volunteers help promote a happy, fun atmosphere at the nursing home.
- Volunteers come up with fresh, creative ideas that benefit residents.
- They’re also an extra set of eyes to notice problems and help come up with solutions.
- Volunteers help keep rooms occupied. I remember a few times when our nursing home had several empty rooms. Employees’ hours had to be reduced in order for the facility to stay in the black financially. When volunteers help promote a caring, home-like atmosphere, people will choose your nursing home over other options.
- Volunteers who are passionate about the nursing home’s mission often become donors for special projects that benefit the residents.
In the end, I think you’ll agree that nursing home volunteers are priceless! Now that we know the value of a volunteer, let’s look at how we can recruit more of them.
Did I miss anything? Please let me know your thoughts in the comments section.