(We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.)
I’m excited to tell you about another fundraising idea that works very well at the nursing home. As I mentioned in my previous post about yard sales, it’s always great to have money available to buy those little extras for your residents.
Our Tips For Hosting Successful Bake Sales:
- Check with your city for local laws regarding bake sales. For example, some cities have rules about how food products need to be labeled. They also may specify the types of foods you can sell.
- Ask people to package their individual products ahead of time. This minimizes the number of people handling the food. It also saves time on the busy day of your sale.
- Have plenty of bags available to make it easier for people to carry their purchases home.
- Clearly post the purpose of your sale. People tend to buy more if they know their money is going to a good cause.
- Encourage people to include the recipe with their baked goods.
- Place a donation jar by the check-out table. People often toss their change in the jar, and this can add up to a significant amount at the end of the sale.
- Don’t forget the pets! Dog treats tend to sell very well at bake sales. Check my post here for a couple of recipes to get you started.
- Ask local restaurants to donate baked goods in return for advertising.
- Have a selection of smaller portioned items priced at $1 at the check-out table (cookies, brownies, cake pops, etc.). People often buy these tempting extras when paying for their purchases.
- Ethnic foods are big sellers. Treats such as lefse, krumkake, and baklava sell very well in our area.
- Set up a couple of tables so people can sit down and sample their purchases. Offer free coffee or you can sell bottled water and soda. There’s a good chance visitors will pick up extra items before they leave.
- If you’re looking for fun recipes for your bake sale, this is the cookbook I highly recommend: “Taste of Home Baking, 725+ Recipes & Variations from Classics to Best Loved!” (Click on the image for more information.)
I’m sure you have great bake sale tips, too. Please share them in the comment section!