Note: This contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated (at no extra cost to you) when you make a purchase by clicking on my links. Thank you for your support.
When my mom and dad lived at the nursing home, it was always challenging to find Christmas presents for them. Like many parents, they said they didn’t need anything. But, of course, we wanted to give them Christmas presents, and we wanted the gifts to be enjoyable, useful, and they had to fit within the limited space in Mom & Dad’s room.
To make your shopping easier this year, I’ve come up with a list of more than 30 gifts that are great options for people living in nursing homes. (The blue links go directly to Amazon.com so you can purchase them now if you wish.)
I’ve based most of these ideas on gifts I’ve seen residents receive at the nursing home. Please feel free to add your suggestions in the comment section!
- Subscription to their hometown newspaper
- Wireless headphones
- Gift certificate to the facility beauty salon
- Window bird feeder and bird seed
- Box of greeting cards and a sheet of stamps
- Roll-up puzzle mat for people who enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles
- Pretty hand-held fans
- Digital photo frame
- Adult coloring books, crossword puzzle books, or Sudoku books
- Pocket magnifying glass or Magnifying glass necklace
- Homemade cookies, pie, or other favorite treats (Check dietary restrictions first.)
- Large display clock
- Photo calendar with pictures of grandchildren (easily created on Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.)
- Sound sleep machine
- Bring in a meal from their favorite fancy restaurant
- Plush eyeglass holder
- High-quality nail polish (Revlon is my favorite brand when I do manicures at the nursing home.)
- Amaryllis bulb
- Magazine subscription or vintage magazines from an antique store
- Men’s leather walker bag
- Talking alarm clock
- Cozy bed jacket or shawl
- Large button calculator
- Scrapbook with copies of old family photos
- “Letters To My Grandchild” book
- Warm bathrobe
- Lost item finder
- Guestbook where visitors can write notes
- Fun Grandma or Grandpa T-shirts
Another great place to shop for gifts is a company called UncommonGoods. While I’m not able to provide direct links to their individual products, you can go here to see their catalog. I’ve always been pleased with gifts I’ve ordered through this company. Their new catalog arrived in the mail the other day, and it’s filled with so many fun and unique items.
Still not certain what to give as a gift? Check with your loved one’s primary nurse or CNA; they often come up with the best ideas.
What did I miss? (I’m especially eager to hear your suggestions if you live in a nursing home!)